Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jungle Reading Nook

Well the past two days have been busy, busy. I have been working hard on my classroom and have the pictures to prove it.


This is the before picture of what is slated to become my jungle reading nook. Take special notice of how bland it is, the lovely old orange chair, etc.

And this is the after picture... doesn't it look sooo much better??? And did you get a good look at that styling chair? Yep, that is the same orange chair, greatly transformed.


I am so excited to continue transforming my classroom into a jungle room.



In addition to decorating, I have been busy organizing my student library and my teacher library. I wish I could share before pictures but I didn't really take any. My books were just a bit of a mish-mash. I tried to categorize but they ended up everywhere. So when I wanted a particular book it meant I had to look through baskets of books. In an earlier post I had talked about the new system I am using called Classroom Organizer. And I still can't say enough about it. I love it and yes, it is free.

Here are a couple of after pictures.

This is part of my student library. Each basket has it's own sign with a distinctive and unique picture that corresponds with the picture of the labels of each book that belongs in that basket. By doing this even my non-readers will be able to independently select a book from our library and return it without assistance. And if something does get returned to the wrong basket, it will be easy to spot.


This is a picture of one of the basket signs.

And this picture shows the label on the back of one of the books that belongs in that basket.

This is how I have organized my teacher library. I like the idea of using the folding baskets (in my school colors) because these are not books that my students will be selecting from so this keeps them out of sight, out of mind while allowing easy access for me. And I think it presents a less 'noisy' view. This is especially important for some of my students who can be over-stimulated by too much visual noise in the room.

Sometimes I want to 'close' the library off to students. I use the library itself to accomplish this. I am able to easily swing the racks so that it closes the reading nook and library off. This is important during classes where other students come into my room for specific instruction in communication. This way they are not as distracted by the cool reading nook.


This pictures show the racks. They are on wheels and I use velcro ties to hold one rack to the other so that I can swing both simultaneously.






I still have much work to complete before I am ready for students, but I feel like I have a good start at least. So I am off to cover 2 more chairs with my hubby. Thank goodness for him... he has the know-how and the tools to help me accomplish all my crazy ideas. But remember to stay 'Wild About School' :)

17 comments:

  1. Looks great! You should join my linky giveaway on before and after shots of your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I ran right over and entered ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, I LOVE the jungle reading nook!! Your kids are going to be so excited when they see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Callen!!! I am sooo excited!!! Now if I can just get the rest done in time!

      Delete
  4. Love your post! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Classroom looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! One corner down, lots more to go!!!

      Delete
  6. Your jungle reading nook is adorable! Thanks for finding me-I can't wait to see more of what is on your blog!

    Your newest follower,
    Julie
    TheHipTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Katie... That is the first corner I have done. I have been working on several other things in the classroom and will be posting them before long!
      Rita

      Delete
  8. I love your Wild About School theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I am having so much fun with it!!! I can't wait for my students to come back Wednesday! They are going to love it too!

      Delete
  9. Your chair looks great, and I love how you organized your library!! I am your newest follower!

    Kelly
    Spectacular 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, just stopped by your blog and signed on as well!!! I love your room!

      Delete
  10. Oh! Your nook looks fantastic and I am super jealous of your amazing reupholstering skills! I have a few chairs myself that need some love. I'm a new follower! Check out my blog if you get a chance!

    Kristin
    Teaching In A Nutshell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but actually use of a staple gun was really the hardest skill!!! You should grab you some fabric and try it for yourself. If you have any questions I can do my best to answer them :) But I am sure you will do fine!!! I just ran over to your blog and signed up!
      Rita

      Delete
  11. I love your jungle theme. I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by and follow me back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog and remember to stay 'Wild About School' :)